Employers that take steps to address health and well-being report;
- reduced sickness absence
- fewer compensation claims
- increased productivity
- improved staff retention (lower recruitment and re-training costs)
- increased employee satisfaction
- improved competitiveness and profitability.
Simple steps can be made without any significant cost;
- encourage staff to take short breaks away from their workstation. Short breaks help to improve alertness and reduce fatigue
- train supervisors and managers to understand and recognise the risk factors for musculoskeletal injuries so issues can be identified early
- encourage staff to report issues early. Prompt access to treatment and advice can help reduce injury time and time off work
- provide a colleague information board with topical health information. There is a lot of free information available from the NHS website or the CSP (Chartered Society of Physiotherapy).